Thursday, October 2, 2008

Gluten Goodness

After visiting with family in California Chas and I made our way to Flagstaff, AZ to visit family including Grammy, Zula Belle Walton. This is Chas' maternal grandmother and she is a ripe 88 years old. She is still sharp as a tack, up and moving all over the place making us meals and pies, Grammy definitely makes 88 look good. We got to visit with her and interview her for some family history. She was full of advice and stories inviting us into her wonderful past and amazing life. We loved getting to know her more and staying with Scott and Carrie.

About 3-4 months ago in Korea I started getting major cravings for my moms homemade bread. She grinds the wheat in a wheat grinder and makes the flour fresh. About an hour or so later we have warm soft deliciousness. I informed her of this craving at the time and mentioned that it might not be a bad idea to have a hot one right out of the oven when we arrive. She agreed and I have been looking forward to it ever since. She was good to her word and when we walked in the door the aroma felt like home. With butter and honey it was the best treat I could have asked for. I think Olive liked it too!

2 comments:

modestmuse said...

I'll skip any puns about buns in the oven ...

Glad you're all enjoying your homecoming tour.

Andrew and Ariel said...

mmmmm I wish I knew how to make bread!