Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ruuuuuuuun


Well we are doing it...not it, but half of it. Chas and I are running a half marathon on Labor Day weekend in Virginia Beach. Our training schedule starts June 23rd and we are getting pumped and warmed up. We're up to a regular 3 mile run as a base and ready to bust into 4 and 8 miles sooner or later. I am really excited! I never have liked running because I never got past the "wall". I am past it now. I can talk while I run. I enjoy it and I crave it the next day. Bring on the training and all the miles that come with it. It is going to be a little tricky because if we want to run together we have to go either really early before the heat or really late after the heat. That limits our already limited time together and cuts into Olive's sleep. Alas...these minor scheduling difficulties will not stand in our way and Sept 5th will be an amazing accomplishment.

Chas is limping around a little at the moment after breaking in his five finger shoes with a three mile run. After reading online we realized you're supposed to gradually (like 10 mins at first and then add a few here and there) start running with those babies as they use a completely different set of muscles. Despite the soreness he loved running in them, I am still on the fence on the purchase. On the flip side, I have been able to finally justify the overpriced jogging stroller I convinced him we should buy.

Lastly the iPhone has an awesome app called runkeeper that we use to track our progress. It logs distance, calories burned, time, elevation etc. It has been a great tool to start to track our progress. It is also a reminder of how far we have to go. The first ten minutes of each run I think over and over how much I don't want to ever run 13 miles. Once I get past that first mile though I start to feel pretty good. I'll let you know how I feel after eight miles.

Running advice, running playlists, tips etc. are welcome to get this party started.


2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Wow that's awesome Lacey! I find that the more you run the more you crave it too! I want to do a half marathon too also! Those shoes look really interesting!

Brook said...

You guys should do the Great Aloha Run... only 8.1 miles and it goes quick because there's so many people.